James W. Linn
Areas of Practice
- Advises public employers and pension boards on federal and state laws pertaining to governmental retirement programs and works closely with local governments and pension actuaries in evaluating and restructuring retirement benefit programs and preparing pension plan documents and amendments.
- Represents public and private employers (management) in labor and employment law matters, including defense of employment discrimination claims, whistle-blower and wrongful termination claims, collective bargaining and employee benefit matters.
- Assisted a number of cities and special districts in joining the Florida Retirement System.
- Represented several cities in 2004 challenge to state rules on use of premium tax revenues for local pension plans.
- Represented numerous cities, pension boards and individuals in pension-related litigation and appeals.
- Successfully represented a city and pension board in City of Hollywood v. Nickerson, 830 So.2d 917 (Fla. 4th DCA 2002) and City of Hollywood v. Petrosino, 864 So.2d 1175 (Fla. 4th DCA 2004).
- Represented the Florida League of Cities and several cities in an administrative challenge to the Florida Division of Retirement’s policy on “extra benefits” for police officers and firefighters under Chapters 175 and 185, Florida Statutes.
- Represented a city and pension board in City of Orlando v. Department of Insurance, 528 So.2d 468 (Fla. 1st DCA 1988). As a result of this case, elected and appointed city officials are able to serve on municipal pension boards.
Administrative, Local Government & Special Districts, Legislative & Governmental Affairs
- Represents local governments and professional organizations in state agency rulemaking and policy matters and handles professional licensure and disciplinary matters before state regulatory boards.
- Represents clients before the Florida Legislature.
- Successfully lobbied for 2007 legislation providing title protection for class of health care professionals, and amendment to informed consent law.
Professional, Civic and Community Involvement
- Holds a Martindale Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating.
- Received 2011 Ralph A. Marsicano Award for significant contributions to the development of local government law in Florida, by the City, County and Local Government Law Section of the Florida Bar.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law and Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 2009-present.
- The Florida Bar: City, County and Local Government Law Section, Chair, 1995-1996.
- Received Local Government Legal Advocacy Award, 1994.